This past weekend, we ran our first Flavor Run 5k!
Carol Anne, Scott and I picked out this 5k as a “training run” as we get ready for our Disney Race in November. We had so much fun with the Flavor Fairy & crew that we’re already planning to run it again next year!
The Flavor Run is a fruit-flavored color run. You start off wearing white, but by the end of the run you’re covered in bright colors AND the scent of fruit!
2016 was the “year of the banana” as evidenced by the banana shaped finisher medals. Next year is watermelon!
Flavor Run Tips & Lessons Learned:
- This is a great family run — we saw plenty of adorable 6y/o flavor fairies completing the 5k as a run/walk with their parents.
- The powder appears to be cornstarch and does not actually taste good. The fruitiness is better enjoyed via smell than taste, so avoid ingesting.
- Close your mouth when running through the “flavor station” or you might end up with blue teeth.
- Take makeup remover wipes, as these did wonders for wiping the color off our faces.
- Put dark colored towels in your car that morning to protect your seats.
- Bring sunglasses to protect your eyes. Contact lens wearers should have saline on hand.
- Some blogs suggested using vinegar to “set” the color into your t-shirt and maintain that tie-dye effect, but this was only marginally effective for me. Instead, I’d suggest wetting the shirt and using a one-step spray dye to amp up the colors before laundering in cold water. For things that you DON’T want to stay colored, simple wash in warm water with plenty of detergent.
- If you have asthma, or wheezing caused by environmental allergies, this is probably not the race for you.
And finally, how to get the color off?!
A warm shower with BAKING SODA AND DISHSOAP. It took some serious Pinterest-research coupled with experimentation to figure this one out. You are welcome. Coconut oil, for the record – useless in this situation.
Happy Monday, friends! Enjoy your fitness!